History of Brockville
Founded in 1832, January 28th marks the incorporation of one of the first communities in the present Province of Ontario. That year marked Brockville on the map and the Brockville Police was established. It is an establishing city and community along the St. Lawrence River.
Before it became Brockville
The court house was built in 1810 in Elizabethtown before Brockville was founded. It was stationed in Elizabethtown because of its location and room for expansion along the river for shipping and receiving goods. A lot of things happened in Brockville before it became an incorporated city. It was a part of the War of 1812-1814 between American and Great Britain, the first parish was established, St. Peter’s Church, in 1814 former a congregation with Rev. Mr. John Bethune. In 1811, the First Presbyterian church started the first Sunday school in Brockville with Adiel Sherwood as Superintendent. Also the Brockville Fire Department was organized in 1820 and the most predominate newspaper, The Recorder and Times made its debut in 1821. Also the Wall Street Methodist church was established in 1828 under Reverend Mr. Anson Green.
The Brockville Market
The Brockville Market was established on February 13th, 1833. All the farmers and local artisans came together to sell their produce and their wares. It was first located on Court House Avenue and later in the 1850’s moved to the south wing of the Victoria Hall. In 1904, it was moved outside where it has been held since this day. This marked the beginning of small businesses in Brockville and supporting one another in each others farms and products.
King street is the main street of all stores and businesses. The Robert Wright and Company established in 1859, carried a wide range of merchandise and later in 1928, T. Eaton Company Limited took it over and called it The Canadian Department Stores Limited and then closed it in 1966. It was taken over by Walker Stores later. Through the years, the stores have come and gone but the history of Brockville remains in its structure. Some buildings even have the dates of their construction carved into their stone to help us remember.
The Place to be
A significant store in the community opened in 1874 on King and Broad St., the H.B. Wright and Company. It was a confectionery, fruit store and ice cream parlour. In 1907, the shop moved to a better location on the north side of King street. It was later became knowns as Kyles and become famous for its ice cream, chocolates and hard candy which were made in house. It was the home and gathering place of all the young people and brought about a real sense of community to its doors. It has seen closed down and was a sad day for the community.
through the years
Through the years, stores like Lewis and Patterson’s Dry Goods Store, Robert Craig Company Limited and many others have been a part of the coming and growing. This project is to show the stores that stand in the places of the stores before. Downtown has grown and developed but as you walk down King St and around downtown, you see the history in the buildings and the community in their stores. I would like to see that history continue on into the future.